Jenn's Life

General musings on life—in poetry, prose, and various forms of soul-baring.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Des Moines, Washington, United States

While pursuing my literary and professional goals, I manage a severe form of gastroparesis (paralysis of the stomach), now complicated by a nonspecific autonomic failure of unknown etiology. I now host my blog at http://jennwright.wordpress.com/about. That's where you'll find all that used to be here----and MORE!

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Status Post J-Tube!

I've Moved!

I've transported every little bit of this blog into a user-friendly, highly informational Wordpress blog! All the information, posts, discussions--literally EVERYTHING--have made it safely into a newer, more easily navigable site, with more information and frequent updates. PLEASE check it out!
Click here to go to this post on the brand new site!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Jenn Wright said...

Thank you so much, Andrea! It's good to know that my sense of humor makes sense to other GPers... Things are going pretty well now, though I am anxious to get my g-tube this week. I just want to reach whatever "normal" will be for me--it's been 2+ years of trying this and that and the other thing, and I'm ready to just settle in!
Thank you for your comments--and I'll try to keep that humor going!
-jmw

Saturday, March 04, 2006 1:19:00 PM  
Blogger mewatson said...

My father had a j-tube put in about 4 months ago. My step-mother is caring for him and is flushing the tube with water every 3 hrs all day and even getting up during the night 3 or 4 times. Very afraid that it will clog. He is only off the feeding tube 6 hours a day. Could you tell me your schedule with the feeding tube and how often you flush?

Thank you,
margot

Sunday, January 07, 2007 12:40:00 AM  
Blogger Jenn Wright said...

Hi Margot,
Thank you for your comment and question. While I am unable to use my j-tube for feeding anymore (my entire GI system has since failed, so I am permanently on IV nutrition), I can share with you how I managed it for the four months I was able to use it.
First, Is your father receiving anything other than water and tube feeding formula through the tube (i.e., crushed medications, blenderized "real" food, etc.)? If there is only formula and water going through the tube, there is very little chance of it becoming clogged, expecially when he is off tube feeding completely. Most tube feeding formulas are specially blended to avoid clumping at all. The most common problems with clogging come from not flushing crushed medications through well enough, so the q 3h flushing shouldn't be necessary at all (assuming he's not getting crushed medications at 3 a.m.). Obviously I am not a medical professional, but as long as the tube gets flushed occasionally during and after feedings and after medications, there should be no reason (that I know of) to be up during the night just to flush the tube. I'm not sure why the doctors didn't make that clearer.
Also, in case this wasn't made clear either, there are ways to declog feeding tubes with enzymes and such, should this ever happen. A clogged j-tube is not necessarily a medical emergency--more of an inconvenience until is gets cleared.
I was on 24-hour feedings, and flushed every 4-6 hours (without ever disturbing my sleep to do it). I never had any issues with clogging or sluggish flow or anything. I just put 30 mL of warm water through the tube (usually when I went to use the bathroom) and left it at that.
I hope this helps--both with peace of mind and your stepmother's poor interrupted sleep!
Thanks again,
Jenn

Sunday, January 07, 2007 9:21:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home